Carb disassembly/cleaning, jet kit, air/fuel mixture how-to

How do I...? What is the correct way to...? Specifications, techniques and more.

Moderators: slug, tdah73

Carb disassembly/cleaning, jet kit, air/fuel mixture how-to

Postby tdah73 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:08 pm

this will be a work in progress, b/c i have tons of pics and it's going to take while to finish. i'm going to leave it stickied while i work on it.

needed tools:
screwdrivers (flat and phillips)
open wrenches
allen (hex) wrenches
compressed air
carb cleaner spray
+/- needle nose pliers
container to catch gasoline
4 disposable tupperware-type containers, or another method for keeping things separate

for the names of all parts, i'm going according to the yamaha OEM service manual. use this for reference:
now, ordinarily, we do not post copyrighted material on this forum. i've included this page it b/c it makes it a ton easier for everyone to follow if we're using the same terms. if anyone, esp the other admins, feels it shouldn't be here (ie, i'm being hipocritical), let me know and i'll take it down.

i'm starting the how-to from the point that the carbs are already off the bike. unfortunately, i didn't take pics during the removal, which is a shame b/c it's a little tricky if you've never done it before. eventually i'll get around to it, but for now, let's begin...:)

first thing: mark each carb bank and the base with a corresponding number (ignore the fact that one is already open in this pic). you can see i used the fancy Roman numerals.
when you have the carbs apart, keep them separate. ie, do not mix up the parts from one carb with those from another. they may not seat properly otherwise. some recommend not disassembling more than one at time, but that makes it more of a pain to clean them out. just keep everything clearly separated and marked. 4 large tupperware-type disposable containers would work well.

drain the gas out of all four carbs. big circle marks the drain plug; little circle is where the fuel will drain from. just so you know when it starts pouring out all over you, like it did me. remember to close the drain. (ignore screwdriver and what it's pointing to for now).

flip them back over, and you have the front of the carbs, viewing the vacuum chamber covers:

one chamber at a time. 4 screws to remove here. be careful removing all screws, and take your time. i cannot stress enough how important it is to be patient and apply massive amounts of pressure to the screws while turning to prevent them from stripping. i fubar'd a few and had to get replacements (catintenn rocks :)).

pull off the cover carefully, or the spring will jump out.

boinggg...

looking in at the jet needle holder:

carefully peel back the rubber diaphragm, attached to the plastic throttle valve.

remove diaphragm and throttle valve with jet needle and jet needle holder in place:

front of the carb with everything out from this side:

repeat for the other 3 carbs, remembering to keep everything separate.

flip back over. again, one at time. i don't know what i was pointing to here. :lol 4 screws to remove here. again, be careful and apply strong downward pressure. i messed up some of these too.

yep, not good. some were worse.

remove float bowl carefully. inspect the gasket to make sure it's intact. i did not replace them.

to be continued...

ok, going on:

pulling off the cover, you have the floats exposed:

gunk inside:

unscrew the main jet from the needle jet:

here you can see them separating:

use an 8mm wrench to then remove the needle jet:

unscrew the pilot jet, seated inside this hole:

remove the pilot jet. (this photo is from the reverse angle - it's halftime. ;p)

time for a break...

okedoke:

remove the screw that holds down the floats:

pull out the floats. be a little careful with the needle valve, which hangs from the floats on a little metal clip. it'll fall off at some point, guaranteed, but is easy to put back on. just take a look at it before it falls off so you can see which way it goes on.

undo the screw that holds down the valve seat:

pull out the valve seat. this is a little tricky, b/c it's sandwiched in there pretty well. i used my fingers and some good wiggling, as well as a screwdriver to gently pry it out. i think some needle nose pliers on a thin rag would prob work well, to avoid damaging it.

this is what it looks like when you take it out:

this is what it looks like when you drop it on the ground: :slap
after running by some other forum members, i just reused it. it shouldn't affect anything with that little dent there.

repeat for the other 3, keeping everything separate. that's it for disassembly. now you are ready to clean.

to be continued...

ok, to clean them out after you've done all the above to all 4 carbs: take the can of carb cleaner and spray all the little float bowl orifices well. use the compressed air to blow it out, making sure to hit every nook and cranny. after you've hit all 4 carbs a couple times, carefully use the carb cleaner and then compressed air on the jets that you've removed. i say carefully, b/c you don't want to blow the things out of your hands and across the floor.

assembly is just the reverse of the above steps.

Jet kit (also called carb kit) install: very simple if you've come this far.
this is Ivan's carb kit (the one i used - there are others out there):

here are the main jets. left is stock - 155. on the right is the one that comes with Ivan's carb kit - 152.
when reassembling, simply use the 152 instead of the 155.

here are the jet needles. left is stock. on the right is Ivan's:

close-up of Ivan's needle, showing some of the cuts (was hard to get the camera to focus on it):
they are adjustable. i just put them on according to the directions, which i don't remember.

now for the air/fuel mixture screws. from the factory, they come with a soft metal cap overlying them. you need to drill this plate out. use the drill bit included in the kit (or any rather small drill bit will work) to make a small hole in the cap. use light pressure: you don't want the drill bit to punch hard through the cap and destroy the screw head that lies beneath it. use a screw (also included in Ivan's kit) to go slightly into the hole you just made. when you have just the tip of the screw in the hole, pull the cap out. repeat for the other 3. yes, this is permanent. the caps do not get replaced, but don't worry, it's not a problem to leave them open. here, the screwdriver is pointing to one of the caps.

close-up after removing the cap:
Last edited by tdah73 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ride safe in Heaven, Ron, Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin and Ashwin. We miss you.

2001 YZF 600R
2006 YZF R1

Many of your YZF600R moto questions can be answered here :)
Many of your YZF600R forum questions can be answered here :)
tdah73
Yes, I moved your thread
Yes, I moved your thread

I Ride: 01 600R - sold :(
Bike Color: Yammie blue
I also ride: 06 R1
Bike Color: Black
Bike Mileage: 24,000
Bike Mileage: 21,000

Postby xJudgex314 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:46 pm

You're officially my hero!

:ok

This is one of the things I plan on doing for my winter projects (along with shift kit install and plug replacement), so this should make it a lot easier for me!

:cheers

A* Spinner Jacket/SP-2 Gloves/Bat Pants--Sidi B-2 Boots--HJC AC-12 Matte Black.
Puig Racing Screen--TBR C-2 Aluminum--CF Vinyl Seat--GSXR CF Mirrors--OES Sliders
xJudgex314
Super Supreme YZF Mega Master

Postby JustSomeDude » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:59 pm

Perfect timing for this how-to!!

YOU RULE!!!

<<<<<<<<<<< Carlton is so excited about this how-to that he's dancing with glee!!!
JustSomeDude

Postby JustSomeDude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

tdah - can you verify which way the "hanger" for the needle valve sits? it has a little "L" shape to it. does the bottom leg of the L point towards the main carb body, or away from it?

in the pics, it looks like it points away from the carb body. i may need to pull my carbs off to verify a bunch of stuff - and this is one of things I want to make sure I put back on correctly.
JustSomeDude

Postby Uraijit » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:18 am

Don't forget eye protection when spraying the orfices. They are engeneered to deflect the stream of carb cleaner directly into your eyes, no matter what angle it's held at...

Oh, and JSD, if you're talking about the plastic needle jet holder, the opening faces inward toward the jet. Also sure it seats completely, you may have to rotate it a little bit to make it go all the way in, as it has to be aligned a certain way to fully seat.
alltracturbo wrote:I would rather guarantee my work with my life than have the shop guarantee their work with my life.

Uraijit

Postby PR_Rider » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:01 pm

Awesome how-to... I think Ill pay somebody to do it. I think theres no way i can pull that off
PR_Rider

I Ride: Triumph Daytona 675

Postby 97catintenn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:35 pm

All the pictures and detail are a bit over whelming at first, but really, it's so easy a caveman can do it :ok

You have four carbs, work on one at time, if you forget how it goes back together, disassemble the next one, and go on from there.
Matt
97catintenn
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 97CATinTENNessee
Bike Color: Red and White
Bike Mileage: 50,000

Postby Blakjack » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:19 am

Uraijit wrote:Don't forget eye protection when spraying the orfices. They are engeneered to deflect the stream of carb cleaner directly into your eyes, no matter what angle it's held at...

Gospel I tell ya...

:cheers
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
Blakjack

Postby BlownClutch » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:12 pm

I'm giving this a shot tomorrow! Is it ok to use "duster" to blow out the jets and needles? , and what do I soak the parts in (exluding rubber parts)
BlownClutch

Postby tdah73 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:19 am

what exactly is a duster?

you don't really need to soak them, just use some carb cleaner spray on them while disassembled, and the gunk will pretty much just come out.
Ride safe in Heaven, Ron, Matt, Andrew, Joe, Kevin and Ashwin. We miss you.

2001 YZF 600R
2006 YZF R1

Many of your YZF600R moto questions can be answered here :)
Many of your YZF600R forum questions can be answered here :)
tdah73
Yes, I moved your thread
Yes, I moved your thread

I Ride: 01 600R - sold :(
Bike Color: Yammie blue
I also ride: 06 R1
Bike Mileage: 24,000
Bike Mileage: 21,000

Postby BlownClutch » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:19 am

duster is compressed air in an aerosol can used to blow the dust off of keyboards and electronics...
BlownClutch

Postby BlownClutch » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

TDAH73, thanks for the hard work.. I followed your tutorial and logged my personal experience on oldskoolyzf....... Check it out if you want: http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=708&highlight=

My bike now offically runs!! :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
BlownClutch

Postby 97catintenn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Respectively borrowed from tiger direct.com

Matt
97catintenn
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I Ride: 97CATinTENNessee
Bike Color: Red and White
Bike Mileage: 50,000

Postby nuggets » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:02 pm

thanks for this. just did it yesterday, and everything went great.

Just a little tip, don't clean out all the parts in your basement because the fumes get a little ridiculous. lol.. it was cold outside though so..
nuggets
Decent Rider
Decent Rider

Re: Carb disassembly/cleaning, jet kit, air/fuel mixture how-to

Postby zelfin » Sun May 25, 2008 1:48 am

Question. If cleaning everything what is the need to replace parts? Do the needles and asuch need to be replaced and what is the affect if they are not?
Zelfin/Merle
zelfin
Starting to think you're good

Postby warrior » Tue May 27, 2008 5:48 am

zelfin wrote:Question. If cleaning everything what is the need to replace parts? Do the needles and asuch need to be replaced and what is the affect if they are not?

Nothing needs to be replaced, it's just that some people do with a "jet kit".

You can clean your carbs and reinstall everything that you pulled out but a jet kit will give you smoother idle, better throttle response, a little more torque in the low-mid range.
JDjay-d
keep the mystery hoes away from Mid.
warrior

I Ride: 2006 Honda RC-46
I also ride: Norco Wolverine
Bike Mileage: 5,500
Bike Mileage: who's counting?

Postby matador0310 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 pm

what a great post...i cant wait to try this out this week...i am wondering though... after i take it apart and clean all the pats im taking apart...i hear people say a"all gummed up" what are they refering too....? I noticed this tuorial will get me 90% complete...but do i actually clean the main part of the unit the part im taking all the little parts off of..probobly called the carb housing maybe? can you spray carb cleaner all over the thing and dry it off after with co2???? thanks. now i just gotta find out how to sync them after ward and ill be all set....
matador0310
Decent Rider
Decent Rider

Postby firemedic679 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:10 am

after all this time of reading this how-to i just noticed it says "to be continued" yet its not continued. is their anything after the drilling of the a/f mixture screw?
Greg

yoshimura club member #38
Image 01' Blue/White
[04-05 GSXR mirrors][OES frame sliders][Puig DB dark smoke][flush mounts][clear tail light and turn signal lenses][tail light tuck][rear fender cut][Yoshimura Carbon Fiber RS-3]
firemedic679
Wheelies a plenty
Wheelies a plenty

I Ride: 2001 YZF 600r
Bike Color: blue/white
I also ride: a firetruck
Bike Color: white/red
Bike Mileage: 2200

Postby jar944 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:02 pm

firemedic679 wrote:after all this time of reading this how-to i just noticed it says "to be continued" yet its not continued. is their anything after the drilling of the a/f mixture screw?

adjusting them...

Then realizing that the factory wasn't even close.
Scars are merit badges of pain
jar944

Postby zelfin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:17 am

so what is close?
2 turns?
2 1/2 turns?
3 turns?
turn until it sounds good?

or is this one of those. "You will know when you find it" moments?

also how to sync the carbs? I may be blind but i cannot find. I know its here somewhere though.
Zelfin/Merle
zelfin

Next

Return to How To